Dogs are Carnivores!
This past Sunday I was settling down to enjoy the parts of the Sunday newspaper I read: the ads (at least those are obvious in their agenda), the Parade Magazine, and the comics. Not much else I care to engage in because so much disinformation is perpetrated in the media these days since it’s bought and paid for…but I digress.
At any rate, I started to read the Personality portion of the Parade and then I proceeded to get nauseous reading a particular actress’ viewpoint on the fact that she is vegan and so therefore so are her rescue dogs. She states that she feeds them a “100% plant-based diet“. My questions for her are and those who choose to receive this sort of advice based on the fact that a celeb has shared it:
1. Why? Because YOU are a vegan or vegetarian you think your CARNIVORE pet should also be one?
2. How does that convey humane care and treatment of your carnviore pet?
3. Do you know anything about animal health, aside from making it an extension of yourself and YOUR needs or desires?
4. When did you become an authority on pet care?
5. Why do pet owners ask what celebrities do for their pets? Why does it matter? They are celebrities NOT pet care professionals!
6. Why do these celebrities and others insist on saying they are for HUMANE care but then decide to change the very species needs of their pets just because that is what THEY want for THEMSELVES?
7. Why not get a pet that does accommodate your lifestyle if you just can’t handle the raw meat and bones? Maybe get a rabbit or guinea pig or raise horses!
People wouldn’t dream of forcing their rabbits or horses to eat raw meat and bones so why this persistence in trying to make cats and dogs eat foods inappropriate for them?
This actress claims that her dogs no longer have hotspots or fleas. But they are probably kept indoors much of the time, and just being off of the kibble might help improve the body – she says for ten years now. I bet these dogs have to have dentals done on their teeth at least yearly which means less than the stellar health she claims. And not feeding the commercial junk food does help. But why not honor the animal you have chosen to bring into your household by caring for them according to THEIR species needs instead of your own?
But the biggest questions remain: WHY seek the advice of these celebs in the first place? And when are people going to stop making animals an extension of themselves and just enjoy for them for who and what they are and get over OURselves????
Have a pawsitively tail waggin’, NATURALLY healthy, species appropriate day!