Harmful, Chemical Products Killing and Maiming Pets
I am always saying this to clients: follow the laws of health and do NOT use these toxins on pets. They are not only killing and harming the pests and parasites they are supposed to kill, but they are also harming and even in some cases killing our pets as well!
There is a Facebook page dedicated to making sure people know what can happen to our pets if we decide to use these toxic substances on our pets, Hartz Products Are Killing Our Pets. The person who started this page sent out a horrific photo of their dog which you can see on their FB page from June 2012.
The person whose dog this happened to was told by this company that “death is the number one side effect” with their flea product!!! Really? Wow, I would not want this on my dog ever.
Why do these companies continue to sell these type of products?
1. Because they can
2. Because people keep buying them because they either don’t understand how a whole health approach is needed not a magic bullet and/or they don’t care to invest in learning a whole health approach.
This means the problem is as much ours as it is the company. The company is following the basic principles of Economics 101 which simply states that supply is going to rise to meet demand. WE are demanding these magic bullet approaches the quite simply do NOT exist folks!
By the way, this isn’t just an isolated incident. These products are toxic, harmful pesticides and if we continue to put them on our pets this sort of thing is going to continue.
What is the alternative?
First and foremost simply following the laws of health:
1. Species appropriate RAW nutrition – for canine carnivores we should all know that means RAW meat, bones and organs.
2. Exercise. Daily, no excuses. A tired dog is a happy dog. And also a dog that is exercised will be MUCH healthier. The body is designed to MOVE!
3. Water. Pure, fresh, unadulterated with fluoride, chlorine and other toxins. PURE water is necessary for good health.
4. Sunshine sans sunscreen. The manufacture of Vitamin D begins in skin exposed to the SUN. Sun is not bad, tans aren’t bad, SUNBURN is bad. Avoid burning by not baking in the sun. Animals will not bake themselves like humans. So make sure they have shade and water if they must be left outdoors. I prefer them being outdoors to being cooped up in a house or garage as I see so often but they need water, shade and a way to cool off especially if they are heavy or long-coated dogs. My own dog has free access since I work from home. But when I am gone he has shade, water and in the summer I provide a little swimming pool.
5. Moderation in all things. Don’t over do anything. A short walk daily is far better than one day where you allow the dog to exercise until he drops for example.
6. Fresh air. That’s why I said keeping them couped up in a house or garage for an entire work day is not prudent to good health in them. I would rather see them outside with shelter and shade – as long as they are not lawn ornaments only and get good daily interaction with you and other dogs. Of course you wouldn’t be reading this blog if you were into living lawn ornaments.
7. Rest. Rest from noise, EMFs, lights (like digital clocks), and even digestion once a week. Also good, deep, restful sleep.
8. Trust. In all previous laws of health. Without trust then this is all a moot point which is most likely why so many people don’t follow these simple laws that have been MANDATED in nature making them not optional. ALL must be adhered to or there are and will be consequences. If all are adhered to then there will be benefits. Plus, I also believe in Trust in God and Him as the Healer and giver of life.
Additionally I use pure, therapeutic essential oils on myself and my dogs as our primary health care option to enhance and support our immune systems*. Al as an addendum to the above laws of health because we’ve just done so much wrong in this world to our food, air, soil, and water that extra help is needed. All of this is SO beneficial and is definitely not going to kill, harm or maim our pets – UNLESS you choose those nasty health food store imitations or fake aromatherapy products being offered by these same companies making these toxic flea and tick products. I wrote about that here: https://www.aspenbloompetcare.com/2013/05/05/essential-oils-vs-pheromone-technology/
Bottom line, using these products is not an option for killing fleas and ticks because they also cause toxic and even deadly harm to our pets.
Have a pawsitively tail waggin’, NATUROPATHICALLY healthy day!
For specific, individual questions about heartworm and parasite prevention please have a look at my DIY Total Wellness for Pets Program.